torstai 10. marraskuuta 2016

First

This blog is about...

...life.
...friends.
...enemies.
...sports.
...music.

All accompanied with stories. Some fun, some sad, some new, some old and some just plain peculiar and uncomfortable.

The first story is about moving abroad. Very classy to start with this subject now that half of the USA is wanting to move to Canada. Well...

That's me.


For shits and giggles (no really, that's the reason why I moved)
I'm a Finnish girl who decided a year back it could be a fun idea to move to Sweden. I wasn't sure if it would ever actually happen, I would have to get in to a University in Sweden first or have a job and do all the practical things regarding moving from one country to another. I wasn't sure at all if that would be a good idea. Sure, I had been working for two summers in Sweden but that's definitely not the same as moving permanently.

Well what do you know, I got in to a Uni.

Questions (there are so many)
How should I travel there? What do I need to pack? How do I finance my studies there? What all things I need to inform to the Finnish officials? Or the Swedish? What do I do with all my furniture in Finland? Are my language skills good enough?

I mean, if you are moving abroad those are the things you need to figure out. And so many more. How will you integrate to your new life? And the most important thing: Where do I find a place to live.

Living (could be worse)
I was lucky enough to get one offer out of the dozens I applied to. Not every international student was so lucky. I'm not utterly pleased by my living situation right now but at least I have one. This is good enough for now. I live with multiple other young adults and my landlord in a huge house 4 km from the Uni. Could be worse. I could live 60 km from the city, like my friend.

Travelling (emotions)
I ended up travelling with two of my friends with a car. That of course means I could take way more things with me than I actually need AND the trip took 12 hours one way. The hardest thing with that was the goodbyes. My friends came and lived with me here for two days. It was an easy move-in for me but being left alone after two days with familiar people was sort of devastating for a while there. Of course I tried my best not to show it to my boys but I'm bad at not involuntarily expressing myself. Of course I got over that quickly and went exploring my new surroundings.

Job (passions)
I was very lucky to get a job, which I started about immediately when I moved here. Two nights a week sitting in a reception, ok pay... For a student that's called a dream job. I didn't apply to very many places, didn't have the time really. Apparently you just need to find the part time job among your own passions.

Studying (with like minded people)
Studying is what I do. Everyday. That's how master's programs work. I'm extremely happy and lucky to have my study place here. There are not many people starting yearly in the program. Another reason for me to be happy about the studying aspect is that I actually meet new people. Almost half of the people in my program are international students so everyone is basically in the same situation as I am; needing and wanting new friends.

All-in-all (just do it)
For me moving from one country to another was not hard per ce. I know people who are dying to move abroad, but they are afraid of either the paper work, or what might happen when they get to the new place. I'd say go for it. It might just be worth it.

One the other hand (everything might be shit)
Of course, since the blog is called Life in Decay, well... Everything might go terribly wrong and I will assure you; you WILL confront problems. Either cultural clashes, language issues, or what ever might concern your situation. I have had all those and I've only been living here for few months. It's practically impossible to open a bank account, you can't easily get a bonus card for stores you visit often, you can't use some applications without local phone number, and most of the time you have no idea where the bus you are sitting in is taking you.

There's so much things to learn when you do stupid things like move abroad. I can't fit everything in one blog post neither am I going to. Go ahead and read actual instruction regarding your own situation, this is just me in my very morbid life.

Song for moving, it's a battle, I should know:

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti